Sunday, July 12, 2009
No regrets
I will not let my past rule my life.
That personal note has been living prominantly on my desk for awhile now. I actually wrote it as a reminder to send the thought to a friend. I sent it and then kept it as a reminder for myself.
I need it every now and then.
It comes from a decision (?) that having regrets in life is really pointless. I have made some bad decisions. Some of those descions were bad for the time or just bad in general. Some had consequences, others have not. Yet that may change. My goal though is to learn from each of those decisions some form of a lesson. Even if the lesson seems like a "well duh!" I often find a deeper meaning too.
So I move on. I don't mean to say I'm not sorry for hurting people. I am. I have lost several close friends who I will miss for a long time over the last year. I learned something from the mistake I made, but I still hope something positive came of the loss. Unfortunately, I will probably never know the answer to that one.
I could never regret my 15 year marriage. I am sorry it has ended. I hope the animosity will eventually fade. I don't know if I have sufficiently learned from it's failure. I think the only way to answer that will be to look at future relationships. That remains to be seen.
I won't turn this into a confessional. Too public for that.
I try not to dwell on my mistakes. I forgive easily. I ask forgiveness of those I have hurt, and it becomes their choice to give it or not.
I still have no regrets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment