Thursday, May 21, 2009
Tales from the field part 5
I don't know if it's really part 5 but that sounds like a good number. The other parts are on my facebook page.
One challenge (among many) in my job is homemade food. It is not legal by local, state, or federal food code to commercially sell homemade food. I learned to recognise food with "source" issues by the labeling or commonly lack there of.
A couple years ago Texas was having issues with white mexican cheese or Queso Blanco which does come in several forms ranging from creamy to semi-hard. ( a little harder than a cheddar) Parmesan is a hard cheese. To make a long story shorter, I pulled about 40 pounds of improperly labeled mexican cheese from a shelf and took it back to the office for pictures and disposal. OOOpppsssss. Office not happy. That stuff REEEEKS!
Anyway, I was in a new grocery of non-North American origin and found some poorly labeled bread.
Conversation ensues...
Me:" Where did this come from?"
Proprietor: " I don't know"
I am asking questions I already know or think I know the answer to. I just want to get him to admit to it.
"Not a good answer... try again. This bread is warm. It was made this morning. Where did it come from?"
" A woman brings it by every morning."
"Where does she get it?"
"I don't know"
"You buy food to sell to your customers that you don't know where it comes from?"
At this point he realizes he's stuck
"Well, she makes it in her home."
"That's what I thought. Let's throw it out."
I really actually got lucky on that. It was still warm. That was a big tip for me.
It will probably appear again. With better labeling. A fake invoice to some "bakery" in Dallas.
Mobile food vendors are still the worst about this.
It's pool season. An inspector friend has already shattered my highest chlorine reading in an open pool. Mine was set last summer at 52ppm. This pool, not in my city, was over 200ppm chlorine.
I hope this isn't a harbinger of the season to come.
Tom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment